Extract from Parish Churches of London by Basil Clarke, Batsford, 1966

Holy Trinity, Cloudesley Square

In 1517 Richard Cloudesley left to the parish a parcel of land called Stone Field, and this was used as the site for the church. James Savage made plans, but the Commissioners rejected them, and Charles Barry's were adopted instead. The foundation stone was laid on 15 July 1826 and the consecration was on 19 March 1829. The cost was £11,900; the Commissioners granted £9,231. It is Perpendicular in style, of brick, with an aisled nave, turrets at the four corners, and a small sanctuary and north vestry. It was restored by Ewan Christian, who did the usual things: the organ was removed and choir stalls were inserted. A faculty was given on 24 July 1900 to re-seat, raise the east end, and take down the north and south galleries. Another 5 June 1915 for new choir vestry, new organ screen, etc. The church is not bad as Sir Charles, in his later days, liked to think: it is straightforward Commissioners' Perpendicular. But the alterations have not improved it much. The best thing in the interior is the glass in the east window, by Willement, 1828, with a kneeling figure of Richard Cloudesley.